Motor Vehicle Accident: How to Take Care of Yourself (in the state of Oregon)

Receive the Care You Need

Car accidents happen. You may be the driver, a passenger, bicyclist, or pedestrian. If you’re in the state of Oregon, you can receive the care you need.

Let’s paint a picture. BOOM! Accident!

See my personal attorney friend, Sheldon Aronson, for steps to take at the scene.

Please don’t tell your insurance company or the other party’s insurance company you’re “fine” when you’re not. Maybe you’re unsure, because the adrenaline is rushing through you body! Recollect yourself, reassess, and see a trusted doctor. You don’t want to be left with nothing but a hurt back a week later! After you’ve exchanged insurance information, etc., go see your doctor asap. FYI, you could also see an acupuncturist without a referral.


Your car insurance has you covered in Oregon.

In the state of Oregon, your car insurance will cover medical, hospital, dental, surgical, ambulance, and prosthetic services up to $15,000 per person within 2 years of the injury.

What is covered, exactly?

This means your Naturopathic doctor, acupuncturist, massage therapist, and chiropractor will all be covered under PIP, personal injury protection, also called “NO-FAULT insurance.” Services will be covered regardless of whose fault it is. PIP will also pay for funeral expenses, loss of income, and child care (with conditions). see ORS 742.524

Who is covered?

PIP covers the insured person as well as the person’s family who resides in the same household, any passengers, and pedestrians struck during the accident. see ORS 742.520
*If you don’t have car insurance and if no family in your household does, then you can file a claim with the other party involved in the accident.

Who is NOT covered?

PIP does not apply to motorcyclists. Or if no car was involved in the accident.

What is the catch?

Honestly, it doesn’t seem like there is one! PIP completely benefits YOU, so take advantage of it! That’s what your insurance is here for anyway. Your premiums should not increase because you used PIP, but we can’t say for certain. Think of it another way… you could clench your teeth and bear through whatever physical mental emotional problems resulted from the accident therefore decreasing your quality of life, or you could use your benefits to get the support and care you need to get better faster.

You can increase your PIP coverage by paying for more robust insurance. In Washington, it’s possible to waive PIP. In the end make sure you either have good motor vehicle accident insurance or personal health insurance so you don’t go in debt over an unbearable ER visit.

What to do FIRST?

See your doctor who you trust to evaluate you. If they think you are fit to return back to work, then that’s what you will do. If you don’t agree with your doctor, it might turn into a battle. If you have symptoms, AT LEAST ask them for a referral for chiro, acupuncture, and/or massage. A referral might not be necessary but it will streamline the process.

It is possible to go straight to your chiropractor or acupuncturist after the accident (skip the doc), but again, your insurance company might have a different idea of what is appropriate. With that being said, if you do not have a primary care doctor to evaluate you and choose not to for whatever reason, go straight to the chiropractor or acupuncturist (after a claim has been opened) to assess and treat you. They’ll figure it out. This is of course if your situation is not a medical emergency. In that case, you will have gone to the ER or urgent care.

What to do SECOND?

Request a PIP application from your car insurance company. File all the paperwork.

What to do THIRD?

Receive the care you need!

Questions? Reach out ~

Natural Medicine (11).png